The chapel nestles discreetly at the heart of Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey between the two his¬toric cellars, a perfect meeting of wine and spirit. Some beautiful weddings have been celebrated at this altar. Baron Nicolas Pierre de Pichard, who owned the chateau from 1742 and was baptized at Saint-Éloi church in Bordeaux, had a reproduction of the 1491 baptistery from his baptismal church built in the Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey chapel – one man’s tribute to the location’s sacred nature.
The chapel is now decorated with Lalique’s most beautiful historic and contemporary works. A red and black marble altar, designed by Pietro Mingarelli and inspired by the bap¬tistery altar in Saint-Eloi church, shows off the chapel in all its glory. This altar pays tribute to work that was begun in the 20th century by René Lalique, such as the chancel of the Notre-Dame de Fidélité church in Douvres-la-Délivrande in Normandy and St Matthew’s Church in Jersey.
Above are stained glass windows decorated with the motif “Merle et Raisins” (Blackbird and Grapes), as well as the crystal work of art Eternal Belief by the artist Damien Hirst. With this piece, Damien Hirst chose to depict life and faith – shown in the finest of settings in Château Lafaurie-Peyraguey’s chapel.